Hostapd with TP-Link TN822N

Hostapd with TN822N (RTL8192cu chipset)

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3028&start=20#p41229
https://github.com/pvaret/rtl8192cu-fixes/blob/master/README.md
http://askubuntu.com/questions/401045/wifi-problems-with-tp-link-wn822n-ubuntu-13-10

Do the following (from the github/pvaret link):

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential dkms
git clone https://github.com/pvaret/rtl8192cu-fixes.git
sudo dkms add ./rtl8192cu-fixes
sudo depmod -a
sudo cp ./rtl8192cu-fixes/blacklist-native-rtl8192.conf /etc/modprobe.d/

then fix / replace the hostapd binary:
1. Download this -> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=48&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#RTL8192CU (the file is called RTL8188C_8192C_USB_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911.zip)
2. Make sure you are running the latest kernel.
3. Unzip that new zip file you download
Go to: RTL8188C_8192C_USB_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911/wpa_supplicant_hostapd
4. unpack the hostapd tarball:
tar -zxvf wpa_supplicant_hostapd-0.8_rtw_r7475.20130812.tar.gz
Go to this folder: wpa_supplicant_hostapd-0.8_rtw_r7475.20130812/hostapd
5. Run: make -j5
Install it: cp hostapd /usr/sbin/hostapd_realtek
modify /etc/init.d/hostapd:
DAEMON_SBIN=/usr/sbin/hostapd_realtek

/etc/hostapd.conf
# Define interface
# Select driver
#wlan1 realtek
#driver=r8169
#wlan0 asus/atheros
#driver=ath9k
#wlan0 asus/atheros
# Set access point name
# Set access point harware mode to 802.11g
# Set WIFI channel (can be easily changed)
# Enable WPA2 only (1 for WPA, 2 for WPA2, 3 for WPA + WPA2)
interface=wlan1
auth_algs=3
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
max_num_sta=5
bridge=br0
channel=5
country_code=US
#driver=nl80211
driver=rtl871xdrv
#dtim_period=1
fragm_threshold=2346
hw_mode=g
ieee80211n=1
rsn_pairwise=CCMP
rts_threshold=2347
#ssid=hp48sx
ssid=test-ssid
wmm_enabled=1
wpa=2
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
#wpa_pairwise=TKIP
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
wpa_passphrase=my-passwd
#ignore_broadcast_ssid=1
macaddr_acl=0

 

Linux AD authentication with transitive trusts…

My big accomplishment for the day was getting Linux authentication working through an Active Directory one-way transitive trust with winbind and kerberos…
Yeah, nobody at work had any idea what I was talking about either. They just heard my maniacal laugh as I ran out of the building…

Interesting Article on Cloud Migrations

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/17/cloud_migration/

Python SSL Analyzer

https://github.com/nabla-c0d3/sslyze

Good Article on Docker and Windows

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/16/windows_containers_deep_dive/

Browser Test Page for Poodle Vulnerability

https://www.poodletest.com/

 

Reference for configuring xorg-edgers ppa for NVIDIA drivers on Ubuntu

http://www.binarytides.com/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-14-04/

Possible fix for Chrome/Pepperflash/Shockwave crashes on Linux

Found at https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=410805

## download stable to /tmp/chrome
mkdir -p /tmp/chrome
cd /tmp/chrome
wget http://mirror.pcbeta.com/google/chrome/deb/pool/main/g/google-chrome-stable/google-chrome-stable_37.0.2062.94-1_amd64.deb

## split out the archive
ar vx google-chrome-stable_37.0.2062.94-1_amd64.deb

## extract data
tar --lzma -xvf data.tar.lzma

## copy libpepflashplayer.so & manifest.json to /opt/chrome
cp opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/* /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/

# open chrome and test...

You may want to keep a copy of libpepflashplayer.so & manifest.json  around to replace upgraded versions with until this is fixed. Be sure that you enable click-to-play to help prevent malicious flash programs.

DHCP Client Proof of Concept Bash Exploit

I had heard talk about how the Bash vulnerability might affect DHCP clients.  I guess this is what they meant:  https://www.trustedsec.com/september-2014/shellshock-dhcp-rce-proof-concept/

 

XWindows on EC2

Launch Xming server on local desktop (Windows)
Turn on X11 forwarding in putty.
(I did not have to set any local DISPLAY environment variables)

sudo yum install xorg-x11-xauth.x86_64 xorg-x11-server-utils.x86_64 xterm

I think I logged out and then ssh’d back in at this point (with X11 forwarding on).

Then I just did an “xterm”. That should open a new terminal window. From that you should be able to run commands that need to open new windows without having to set additional environment variables. The window took a bit to open. If it doesn’t pop up, look at your task bar to make sure it didn’t start minimized. I think that may be an Xming thing…

For a really slow browsing experience (or to run an installer that needs a web browser):

sudo yum install firefox

Then run firefox from the xterm….